Curry coconut hot chocolate at Kokomonk with burnt sesame and raspberry scotch chocolates
2019 Hot Chocolate Festival
January 19 – February 14, 2019
27 DAYS — 74 CRAZY FLAVOURS!
Every year I try to make it to two or three places for the Hot Chocolate Festival, but as I have a dairy allergy, it restricts my choices as I can only go to the places that list that they dairy-free options or the places that I’ve been to that I know are happy to swap it out for me. After perusing the website, here’s the dairy-free choices at the 2019 Hot Chocolate Festival being offered. Also note that if one of the selections has a vegan option, most establishments are happy to offer the other selection as vegan unless it is specifically made with a non-vegan ice cream:
**note all establishments only offer the following hot chocolate selections after 9am.
2019 Hot Chocolate Festival Non-Dairy Selections
49 PARALLEL ROASTERS: They apparently make their own almond milk, so I’d be surprised if you couldn’t ask for your hot chocolate creations dairy-free for the Hot Chocolate Festival. All hot chocolates come with a Lucky Donut so I’ll be headed here. All Available: January 19 – February 14 .
- CHOCOLATE POWER PLANT (V)(GF) – Vegan almond or vegan hazelnut milk hot chocolate with a Vegan Chocolate Doughnut (only served after 9am)
- DARK CHOCOLATE LOVE – (79%) hot chocolate with ‘Chocolate Glazed’ or ‘Triple Choc-Old-Fashioned’ doughnut
CADEAUX BAKERY: Offered January 19 – February 14. (Closed Mondays.)
- NEW YEAR, NEW ME! – Caramelized white hot chocolate steeped in ginger and spices, featuring new Callebaut Gold paired with a GoGoGoji Granola Bite
- COCOANUT – dairy free- coconut dark hot chocolate paired with a Vegan Coconut Cookie
Cardem Donuts – Amaretto hot chocolate with vegan cinnamon bun
CARTEMS DONUTS: Both Available: January 21 – February 14 .
- ROSEBERRY WHITE CHOCOLATE – Raspberry white hot chocolate with rose-water whipped cream and dried rose petals served with any donut in the display case. “Earl Grey” recommended.
- MIDNIGHT SPICE – Dark chocolate married with almond milk, organic cayenne, cinnamon and garnished with spices and slivered almonds paired with any donut in the display case. “Chocolate Glaze” (V) recommended.
CHOCOLATE ARTS: dairy free options just ask. All Available: January 20 – February 14. (Closed Sundays)
- EASY LIKE SUNDAY MORNING – Maple hot chocolate made with Cacao Barry Madirofolo dark chocolate served with Buttermilk Financier.
- WAKE ME UP BEFORE YOU COCOA – Espresso hazelnut hot chocolate made with Chocolate Arts own Or Noir blend of dark-milk chocolate “Amore” and served with a Mini Oat Bar.
- CARAMEL, CRACKLE & POP – Caramel hot chocolate made with a house-made, bittersweet blend of Cacao Barry Fleur de cao and Mi Amere and served with a Rice Crisp and Pop Rock Square.
Chocolate Arts – hot chocolate with carrot twist served with vegan carrot cake
ERNEST ICE CREAM: apparently has upped their vegan game as they now have about 12 vegan ice creams on their website. All available: January 19 – February 14.
- SWEET & SALTY – Salty pretzels and sweet caramel, topped with whipped cream and pretzels paired with Blondie Bar.
- NUTTY & NICE – hazelnut hot chocolate paired with a sugar cookie (V).
ETERNAL ABUNDANCE: everything at this establishment is vegan and desserts are especially yummy.
- A KINDER SALTED CARAMEL” – Decadent hot chocolate with caramel and fair trade cacao served with Maple Shortbread. Available Jan 19 – Feb 1.
- MERRY BERRY HOT CHOCOLATE – local raspberries and fair trade premium cacao served with a Raspberry Cheesecake. Available Feb 2 – 14.
KOKO MONK CHOCOLATES:– (West 1st location) (Closed Mondays.) – My favourite location for the 2019 Hot Chocolate Festival as they not only have dairy free options for all creative choices, but the in-house chocolates are divine, Ask about the “Flight of the Week” on Saturdays” Last year, this was only offered during the Fourth Week Only – so it looks like this is offered every Saturday during the Festival (also offered after the Festival). Flights of Any three. (Minimum order two.) Three hot chocolates of 4 oz each. Choose any three flavours including all 2019 festival flavors. Since we make the drinks on the spot, minimum order quantity is two flights of the same three drink
- HEART OF THE WATER (V) – Vegan maple water dark hot chocolate with coconut milk. Served with Passion Fruit Praline. Available: Jan 19 – 25.
- ISTANBUL – TOKYO: DOUBLE KICKER (V) – Vegan coconut milk matcha tea white chocolate with Turkish coffee served with a vegan Eggnog and Rum Praline. Available Jan 26 – Feb 1.
- THE LIGHT SYLLABLES (VO) – Spicy ginger and chai tea dark hot chocolate with cardamom served with a Rum Truffle. Available: Feb 2 – 8.
- BLACK MOON (VO)_ Rich, dark drinking hot chocolate made with 74% Venezuelan Trinitario served with Tea and Cardamom Praline. Available: Feb 9 – 13 (Note: No 2019 Hot Chocolate Festival participation on Feb 14.)
KOKO MONK HOT CHOCOLATE LOUNGE:– (West Broadway location) (Closed Mondays.) – My favourite location for the 2019 Hot Chocolate Festival as they not only have dairy free options for all creative choices, but the in-house chocolates are divine. Ask about the “Flight of the Week” on Saturdays” Last year, this was only offered during the Fourth Week Only – so it looks like this is offered every Saturday during the Festival (also offered after the Festival). Flights of Any three. (Minimum order two.) Three hot chocolates of 4 oz each. Choose any three flavours including all 2019 festival flavors. Since we make the drinks on the spot, minimum order quantity is two flights of the same three drink
- LOVE IS A BITCH (VO) – Mango/tequila white hot chocolate with chilli served with Rosemary Dark Chocolate Praline with olive oil. Available: Jan 19 – 25.
- ALTERED SOUL – Dedicated to the Memory of David Bowie (V) – Vegan cashew milk dark hot chocolate with cardamom and chilli served with a Salted Rose Caramel Praline. (V) Available Jan 26 – Feb 1.
- THE SHAPE OF A PARTICULAR BLISS (VO)- Watermelon white hot chocolate with parsley and spices served with a Rum Truffle. Available: Feb 2 – 8.
- NEITHER SUN NOR RAIN (V) – Vegan smoked curry dark hot chocolate with coconut milk served with Lemongrass and Mango Praline. Available: Feb 9 – 13 (Note: No 2019 Hot Chocolate Festival participation on Feb 14)....
Flight of three hot chocolates on Saturdays at Koko Monk and Koko Monk Hot Chocolate Lounge
MINK CHOCOLATES: has one vegan selection, not sure if they will switch up the other one with vegan milk. Both available Available: Jan 19 – Feb 14.
- WHO YOU CALLING A ‘CONEHEAD’? – A cortado-sized hot chocolate served in a chocolate-lined edible cone served with a Mini Milk Chocolate Bar.
- PETA KOOL-AID (V) – Entirely vegan coconut cream ganache hot chocolate with Baileys Almond Milk liqueur served with a Mini Dark Chocolate Bar.
TRAFIQ CAFE: Almond milk is offered here, so I don’t think they would have an issuing switching out the milk in the hot chocolate. (I’ll be calling them to find out if this is possible). Both Available: January 20 – February 14
- A CANADIAN COMFORT – Rich IZANAGI & IZANAMI (JAPAN) – Hot chocolate made with Hamasaen matcha, 34% Cacao Barry Zéphyr white chocolate and pistachio. Served with Matcha Opera Cake. Available Jan 19 – 24 and Feb 1 – 7.
- SHIVA & PARVATI (INDIA) – Dirty Chai hot chocolate made with our in-house blend of spices, Colombian single origin 85% chocolate and a double shot of espresso served with Chai Cheesecake Mini. Available: Jan 19 – 24 and Feb 8-14.
- NAPOLEON & JOSEPHINE (FRANCE) – Praline-orange hot chocolate with hazelnut, Cacao Barry Guyaquil 64% bitter-sweet chocolate and a hint of orange blossom served with L’Orange Petit Four. Available Jan 25 – 31 and Feb 1 – 7.
- DIEGO & FRIDA (MEXICO) – Tres Leches hot chocolate made with Cacao Barry 34% Zėphyr white chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, cream, and a hint of cinnamon and rose petals served with Tres Leches Petit Four. Available: Jan 25 – 31 and Feb 8 – 14 Available: Jan 19 – Feb 14
UNO GELATO – James Coleridge is back (formerly from Bella Galleria). According to the Hot Chocolate site, the following is only available from the 2579 West Broadway location.
- BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK – A blend of black cocoa (99% cocoa) and two other cocoas, Avalon organic milk and a touch of made in-house, organic Black Sesame Paste. Served with a scoop of Uno’s Organic Avalon Dairy Gelato or Vegan Gelato. Available: January 19 – February 1.
- WATCH YOUR COCONUTS (V) – RAW coconut water and made in-house RAW coconut milk with Michel Cluziel 85% chocolate and a touch of Rice Powder from Pakistan served with a scoop of Uno’s Organic Avalon Dairy Gelato or Vegan Gelato. Available: January 19 – February 1.
- BRIAN LOVES LINDA (S) – This HC uses a blend of 4 different chocolates and a hint of Milano Coffee’s ‘La Futura’ espresso shot, plus a touch of Single Cask Whiskey served with a scoop of Uno’s Organic Avalon Dairy Gelato or Vegan Gelato. Available: February 2 – 14.
- SQUEEZE YOUR OWN LEMON” (V) – RAW coconut water and made in-house RAW coconut milk infused with Erin Ireland’s fab ‘To Die For Lemon Loaf’ and a medium dark chocolate blend served with a scoop of Uno’s Organic Avalon Dairy Gelato or Vegan Gelato. Available: February 2 – 14