I’ve been a fan of The Wine Bar ever since it opened its door in January of 2013 with its vast selection of 50 wines on tap and assortment of tapas starting at $5. But hold on to your Versace handbags because honey, bubbles are a girl’s best friend at The Wine Bar and here’s 10 reasons why:
1. If it’s good enough for Marilyn Monroe who took a bath in 350 bottles of champagne then it’s good enough for me. The Wine Bar is the only place that offers you more choices of champagne by the glass than any other restaurant or bar in Vancouver.
2. According to new research, I should be drinking 3 glasses of champagne a week as one to three glasses of champagne each week could counteract memory loss associated with aging! Waiter, can I get another bottle?
3. The Wine Bar offers addictive decadent Truffle Oil Popcorn which is the perfect pairing for bubbles. But if popcorn isn’t your thing, then 1/2 baguette with Jack Daniels Garlic Butter is just as tasty .
4. There’s less alcohol in sparkling wine because grapes are harvested earlier than other wines. This results in less sugar which results to lower alcohol level but effervescent drinks are absorbed into the bloodstream more quickly than wines without bubbles. Best drink for first date jitters!
5. Hey girls if you’re on a diet, sparkling wine has less sugar than other wines so more is less! Note that Brut Champagne is the driest and therefore contains the least amount of sugar.
6. There’s a sparkling wine to fit everyone’s budget. The cheapest sparkling is Montelvini Prosecco at $8 a glass and Louis Roderer Cristal at $66.
7. Enjoy your bubbles on the patio in the summertime where you can feel the hot sun blow kisses on your cool forehead. Did I mention the shirtless jocks that jog by?
8. Not one but two happy hours (Tappy Hour) where sparkling wine is 25% off, on Saturdays and Mondays where you can enjoy all weekly specials
9. Perfect first date restaurant where bites are $6 – $9 that won’t break the budget and during Tappy Hour, daily 3-5pm, tapas are $5. And the Yaletown station is just a block away for that quick getaway from your bad date.
10. Last but not least, it’s the only place n town to offer 24 sparkling wines by the glass and the following are my favorite sparkling wines:
Mionetto IL Prosecco, a subtle sparkling with acid as lively as me and a full bouquet of fruit waiting to unfold in your mouth
Benjamin Bridge Classic Method Blanc de Blancs, if you like a dry sparkling with a long finish and plenty of lime zest, come and get this one
Evolve Pink Effervescence, lovely strawberries jump up and kiss you with its tiny bubbles, perfect for a girls night out
LINI 910 ‘Labrusca’ Lambrusco Rosso a Spanish style dry fruit forward sparkling wine that has medium bubbles with lively acid
Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne, a favorite for many champagne fanatics, as it’s lively bubbles with a long creamy finish, makes it easy to drink
Lanson champagne, an off dry sparkling with well balanced acidity.
Louis Roderer Cristal, you haven’t lived if you haven’t had enjoyed a glass of this as it’s champagne at its finest with exquisite tiny bubbles that tickle the palate with lime zest and strawberries on the nose.