Patron Tequila

Patron Tequila


Patron Tequila – Canada  2018
Patron Perfectionists Competition

When I’m in Rome, I eat like the Romans – carblicious pasta and pizza all the way to the fat farm. But when I’m in Mexico, watch out because I drink like the Mexicans do and no I’m not talking about the cheap no thrills 51% agave tequila that utilizes cheap additives to make up the other 49% additives guaranteed to have you talking to Ralph the whole night long. No I only drink premium tequila such as Patron Tequila.

One of the reasons why Patron Tequila is the top producer of premium tequila in the world could be because they have their own tequila inspector, Francisco Alcaraz. who has overseen every bottle of Patron Tequila ever made. Sending him my resume right now and I’m highlighting in bold that I am willing to sacrifice my liver for a good tequila. Another reason is that they don’t grow their own blue agave plants, but prefer to buy the best blue agave plants available which removes the possibility of producing an inferior tequila in those years when crops aren’t as good due to poor weather conditions.


[To view this photo gallery on mobile phone, go to end of page and click on “View as Full Site”

So needless to say when I was invited to the Canada 2018 Patron Perfectionists Cocktail Competition at D6 Bar and Lounge at the Parq Hotel, I had my sombrero on faster than you could say the following:  Arriba (glasses up), abajo (glasses down), al centro (glasses to the front) y adeeentrooo (drink!) . This is the initiation toast that inducts you into the “I’ve Graduated From Drinking Swill Tequila Club”, but remember, if you fall off your bar stool while drinking tequila, you go to the bottom of the tequila barrel.

Patron Tequila

At this event, I had the opportunity to not only watch the four competing bartenders in action, but to taste each and every competing Patron Tequila cocktail paired with great food from D6 Bar and Lounge.  The winning cocktail was created by Makina Labrecque who wins the Canadian title in this competition and will now go to the The Global Final at Hacienda Patrón. For more information about this competition, click here.

In my swag bag, there was not only a mickey of Patron Silver Tequila, but a recipe card containing each of the competing cocktails which I have provided to enhance many libatious evenings.  Salud!

Patron Tequila

Makina Labrecque of Proof Cocktail Bar, Calgary


1.25 oz Patron silver
0.5 oz Ransom Dry Vermouth
1 oz Szechuan peppercorn and lime oleo saccharum
0.25 oz Blue Curacao
6 Alberta spruce tips
1 pinch salt
Garnish with 2 Alberta spruce tips

Combine all ingredients into a shaker tin.  Muddle the Albertan Spruce Tips (or alternatively rosemary where Spruce Tips are not available).  Add ice into a shaker tin and shake the cocktail for twenty seconds. Double strain the cocktail into a rocks glass over pebble ice for crushed ice when pebble is not available).  Garnish using bar tongs and serve.

Patron Tequila

Tom Scully of F&B Waterville of Windsor, Ontario
Simple Things

1.5 oz Patron Silver infused with toasted fennel and caraway seeds
15 ml Rhubarb, orange, fresh fennel syrup (summer syrup)
5 oz Fernet Branca
.75 oz Citric Acid Saturation
.25 oz Taylor Fladgate late bottle tawny port
.25 oz Poli chamomile elixer
Rhubarb, chamomile, part foam

Add all ingredients except foam into a mixing jar and fill with ice.  On a flame retardant surface, torch fresh rosemary and contain with a martini glass to oat the sides of the glass.  Dilute the cocktail 15-20% with about 45 rotations, and until its well shilled.  When ready to be served, overturn the martini glass and pour the cocktail from the mixing jar.  Top the cocktail with pre-prepared foam and serve immediately.

Patron Tequila

Rod Redford of Dark Manor Inn, Vancouver opened November 5, 2018

1.5 oz Patron Anejo
.5 oz La Quintinye extra dry vermouth
.5 oz Pina cordial
.5 oz Malic/citric acid solution
Lime peel for expression and pineapple for garnish

Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass, add ice and stir until chilled and diluted, then strain into chilled coupe, express lime peel over top, and garnish with a pineapple frond.

Patron Tequila

Anna-Marie Bungay-Larose of The Watch That Ends The Night, Halifax

1.25 oz Patron Silver
10 drops saline solution
0.75 oz  coconut cream
1 oz honey cinnamon syrup
0.25 oz Bitter Italian aperol

Smoke a tea cup with French oak by burning a few French oak chips on a fire safe surface with a torch until singed.  Place the tea cup over the burning  chips to catch the smoke inside the glass, and let it sit while building the cocktail.  Combine the ingredients listed above into a shaker tin, add ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds (20 if using old draft ice).  Fine strain into smoked tea cup, neat.  Serve tea cup with a small fresh flower on the saucer.





Editor in Chief of Fabulously Frugal in Vancouver.

Related Posts