rEvolver Festival 2019
THE CHANGING STAGE
Wednesday, May 22-Sunday, June 2, 2019
The Cultch, 1895 Venables Street, Vancouver
Opening in four weeks, the seventh annual rEvolver Festival 2019 will present a program of 15 interdisciplinary productions by a mix of national and local Canadian artists including innovative and experimental solo and ensemble works. Held in-and-around The Cultch, the 12-day festival will run from Wednesday, May 22 to Sunday, June 2, 2019.
TOP STORIES FOR THE REVOLVER FESTIVAL 2019:
- Continuing commitment to diversity of voices – the line-up demonstrates the festival’s core mandate to present fresh and distinct voices reflecting a diversity of background, aesthetic, and practice.
- These days, it’s so important to laugh – this may be the funniest rEvolver ever with forward-thinking comedies including two all woman sketch comedy troupes that take on risqué subjects (Lady Parts, Mr. Truth), Contemporary Dance Solo that recreates teenager dance routines from YouTube with a gender twist, Surveil a comedy about being watched by Tom Hill and Devin Mackenzie, the gender-bending clown of LARRY, and more.
- Novel approaches taken to audience interaction – audience participation is not a new concept but festival artists play with its form this year with 4inXchange, an interactive site-specific game; Perfect Strangers, part-walking tour, part-platonic blind date and Fake Ghost Tours, a haunted high jinx tour of East Vancouver’s most haunted spots.
- New faces and new programs – the festival is pleased to welcome Davey Samuel Calderon as the 2019 Guest Curator. Davey will also, along with comedian and artist Jan Derbyshire, facilitate a new program, Brave Space, which asks how one can increase our capacity for uncomfortable feelings and relate to each other with compassion and empathy. This year’s program also features a unique one-off partnership with The Killjoy Play series, the company will curate and present three new works performed by emerging fem identified and non-binary playwrights.
- A new look for ’19 – Upintheair Theatre and rEvolver Festival’s recent rebranding addresses its ongoing allegiance on presenting interdisciplinary productions and broadening the festival to all genres, not only theatre: the festival has dropped “theatre” from the festival name, and launched a new, clean logo for the company.
BOX OFFICE INFORMATION
Single tickets: $22 regular/$15 low income
Three-show pass for rEvolver Festival 2019: $51 | Six-show pass: $96
ABOUT UPINTHEAIR THEATRE
Under the leadership of Daniel Martin and David Mott, Upintheair Theatre has been producing original and provocative theatre in Vancouver since 2000. The company’s last production was A Brief History of Human Extinction presented at The Cultch in October, 2018. Past productions include The City and The City productions with The Only Animal at the 2017 PuSh Festival, The North Plan (2016), which won three Jessie Awards in the Small Theatre category, and Inside The Seed (2013), which won Jessie Awards for Outstanding Direction (Small Theatre) and Best New Script. Each spring, the company presents the rEvolver Festival 2019 showcasing contemporary performance work by emerging and early mid career artists.