UBC Theatre & Film presents
Timothy Findley’s The Wars
Timothy Findley’s The Wars adapted by Dennis Garnhum. Directed by Lois Anderson November 7-23, 2019, 7:30 pm. Shows Wed. – Sat. only. Preview: Nov. 6. Opening Night Reception: Nov. 7; Post-show Talkback: Nov. 13. Wine/Show pairings by alumna Barbara Phillip MW at the Gallini’s Bar.
SINGLE TICKETS: Adults: $24.50. Seniors: $16.50. Students: $11.50, Youth: $5 VENUE: Frederic Wood Theatre, 6354 Crescent Rd. BOX OFFICE: 604.822.2678 or email@example.com or www.ubctheatretickets.com | WEBSITE: www.theatrefilm.ubc.ca Media Contact: Andrea Rabinovitch. Andrea.firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: 604.822.3723
About Timothy Findley’s The Wars
Adapted for the stage in 2007 by Dennis Garnhum (MFA Directing, 1993), Timothy Findley’s The Wars, his 1977 novel that won the Governor General’s Award for English Language Fiction, retains its poignantly poetic storytelling.
When Robert Ross, a tender-hearted idealist who shares a strong bond with his wheelchair-bound sister, trades his comfortable Canadian life for the harsh world of trench warfare in World War I, we watch his slow unravelling. This story takes us deep inside the mind of a soldier and catapults us into the mud, smoke, and chlorine gas of the front line in France during World War I. Ultimately life-affirming, in the hands of director and alumna, Lois Anderson (Bard on the Beach), this piece, staged by the graduate class of 2020, at an age similar to that of the characters, directly links to our world in 2019 showing that human connection is all.
Timothy Findley’s The Wars adapted by Dennis Garnhum was originally co-produced by Theatre Calgary and the Playhouse Theatre Company of Vancouver in the fall of 2007.
Cast of Timothy Findley’s The Wars
- Robert Ross: David Volvpov;
- Mr. Ross: Hayden Davies;
- Mrs. Ross: Laura Reynolds;
- Private Purchas: Nicco Graham;
- Captain Taffler/Soldier 2 Guard: Drew Ogle;
- Sergeant MacDonald: Ishan Sandhu;
- Private Levitt/ Soldier 6: Aidan LeBlanc;
- Captain Leather/ Coyote: Caleb Pleasure;
- Private Harris/Lorenzo: Tesler-Mabe;
- Private Regis/ Soldier 1/3: Liam McCulley;
- Private Cote/Soldier 4: Connor Riopel;
- Sergeant Rodwell/ Soldier 5: Karthik Kadam;
- Station Master/Major Mickle/Horse 1/Rose: Monica Bowman;
- Eve/Lady Barbara d’Orsey/Horse: Ava Safai;
- Maria/Flemish Woman/Marian/Horse: Pamela Martinez;
- Rowena/Ella/Jackie/Horse: Hana Cripton-Inglis
Director: Lois Anderson;
Scenic Design: Cecilia Vadala;
Costume Design: Erica Sterry;
Lighting Design: Matthew Piton;
Sound Design: Zachary Levis;
Stage Manager: Emily Chen